Technical Purchasing Assistant
$23/HR-FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Orion Group is hiring a Technical Purchasing Specialist to work onsite for our medical device manufacturing client in Austin, TX.
The Technical Purchasing Specialist will source and process purchase requests to include capital equipment, machined parts, contracted labor, and other miscellaneous items.
The Technical Purchasing Specialist will also be responsible for maintaining compliance to company and departmental procedures and is the primary support liaison between the Maintenance and Engineering functions and the Company vendor base.
Technical Purchasing Specialist Responsibilities:
· Reviews requisitions for proper order sourcing, reviews proposals prior to processing bid awards and ensures the lowest cost of ownership.
· Has multi-million-dollar annual purchasing responsibility with the authority to commit individual purchases up to $300,000.
· Maintains confidentiality on sensitive issues such as sources of supply, volumes, costing data, strategies and other proprietary information and data.
· Updates and keeps current insurance certificate file for suppliers working on-site.
· Complies with purchase documentation required for imported goods and controlled substances.
· Communicates purchase specifications, drawings, etc. to suppliers as required for specific purchases.
· Responsible for submitting mechanical, electrical, and other technical specifications and drawings from Engineering to potential suppliers for bidding purposes.
· Has responsibility for reviewing requisitions, establishing sourcing and order placement of Capital Equipment and MRO items.
· Assists in preparing on-site contracts, gives detailed attention to contractual safeguards including confidential agreements, insurance requirements, safety training requirements, workmanship warranties and work references.
· Recommends to user departments new or different materials and revised designs which present the opportunity to obtain better quality and/or a lower cost.
· Supports the plant cost reduction process by identifying cost reduction opportunities by such means as soliciting competitive bids, realigning supplier base, and researching potential cost reductions.
· Expedites and defers deliveries to optimize plant goals, warehouse storage, Just-In-Time (JIT) requirements and emergency needs.
· Reviews purchase order acknowledgements and makes independent decisions on purchase order variations based on sound purchasing practice.
· Audits purchase requisitions, determines appropriate order quantities and price breaks, and selects proper shipping methods.
· Reconciles purchase order receipt discrepancies with Receiving, Accounting and/or suppliers. This includes defective goods, overages, shortages, overcharges, and freight violations.
· Manages a supplier base of several hundred from which thousands of different goods and various services are purchased.
· Advises user departments of any changes in price, procedures, or materials, which would prohibit purchase. Also, keeps them apprised with respect to lead-time on critical items.
· Corresponds tactfully with suppliers to resolve misunderstandings, complaints, and rejections.
· Ongoing internal and external contacts including by phone, personal interview or written correspondence in obtaining quotations, negotiating prices, terms and conditions, credit/returns, expediting deliveries and replacement orders. Interfaces with sales representative, sales managers, owners, and other individuals within supplier organizations.
· Administers blanket orders, standing orders and time and materials contracts (i.e. pipe fitters, electricians, millwrights, etc.)
· Adheres to cGMP's, SOP's and plant policies/guidelines.
Technical Purchasing Assistant Qualifications:
· Purchasing Experience- associate degree with 2 years of Purchasing experience OR a High School Diploma or equivalent with 4 years of Purchasing experience
· Technical background includes having a working knowledge of mechanical and electrical functions and industrial building materials, ability to read and understand technical drawings preferred. - Maintenance, Repair and Operations Purchasing preferred
· Experience with ORACLE iProcurement or comparable ERP procurement platform (preferred)
· Experience in a regulated industry preferred.
· Ability to effectively work with both suppliers and internal stakeholders to support purchasing functions.
· Must demonstrate the ability to work with minimum supervision.
· Must understand cost implications of their actions.
· Must demonstrate understanding of technical terms and their application (Law of Agency, contractual obligations, patents and copyrights, JIT, transportation terminology, etc.).
· Must understand and utilize departmental and interdepartmental relationships to optimize the acquisition of support goods and services. Tact, sensitivity and good negotiating skills are necessary.
· Must be a self-starter with good analytical, communication (oral and written) and proficient computer skills (excel, word).
· Must have working knowledge of manufacturing fundamentals and good business practices.
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.