Senior Drilling Engineer
- Posted 14 May 2023
- Salary Negotiable
- Job type Contract
- DisciplineEnergy Recruitment
- Contact NameLaura McHardy
Our client is currently recruiting for the position of Senior Drilling Engineer, based in Aberdeen.
* Coordination of the well delivery process. Creation of supporting documentation in conjunction with the drilling engineer; Drilling Programme, HAZID / HAZOP, DWOP, Pre-spud, HSE Notification, governmental applications & consents, MoC and RA, derogations, abandonment plans, end of well reports, after action reviews, experience sharing (anticipate REXs, lessons learnt), SIMOPS & bridging Documents etc.
* Lead the Well Scope of Requirement (WSOR) process from within the drilling & wells team. Input to the WSOR to ensure the well delivery process is managed correctly
* Master 'HPHT specialties', such as HP/HT casing design in WellCAT and Managed Pressure Drilling operations
* Providing live drilling engineering support to operations (casing design, directional, hydraulics, swab and surge, torque and drag, well control calculations etc.)
* Perform an average of one overnight rig visit per month
* Well project interface, when necessary, liaison with internal departments; asset, subsurface, reservoir, well performance, completion, testing, intervention, contracts & procurement, well examination etc.
* Prepare / review budget and duration estimates, raise related Contract Release Orders and Service Orders.
* Follow rig cost control, advise of any budget over-spend & follow-up end of well cost reporting
* Update and follow-up of the rig cost control for service contracts involved in drilling and completion operations
* Well design & delivery optimisation through applications of safe working practices, application of new technology & implementation of a drilling improvement plan (well performance improvement). Understanding of Greenhouse Gas Emissions & reduction plans. Ensure lessons learnt are captured and actions closed.
* Support the offshore workforce through communication, interaction & problem solving
* Equipment: Recommend equipment type & quantity including long lead items in conjunction with the QAQC & procurement team. Follow equipment development & qualification where necessary. Track equipment through the supply chain & prepare for well programme changes
* Mentor/Coach Rig site engineer and onshore drilling engineer.
* Contract Management: manage the technical aspect of multiple contracts in your field of speciality including day-to-day activity, budget control, service quality reviews & tendering of multi-service line contracts. Have the ability to negotiate revised Terms & Conditions where necessary and the strength to combat awkward or difficult contractors.
* Delegation: Delegate for the Lead Drilling Engineer and Drilling & Completion Superintendent
* Assist the Lead Drilling Engineer and demonstrate commitment to safety
* Learn & develop Continuous Improvement Projects / Lean initiatives
* Perform the Technical Interface role between Company and its partners. Present & report to the partner forums
* Supervise and coach/mentor entry level engineers.
Experience & Qualifications:
* The job holder will hold a BSc or MSc or equivalent in appropriate engineering discipline (Mechanical, Chemical, Offshore or Petroleum) with previous experience in well engineering.
* Capable of leading individuals for specific scopes
* HPHT, MPD and Casing Design experience is a significant advantage
* Chain of Command Superintendent level
* Organisational skills to prioritise and manage a heavy workload in a rapidly changing environment
* Good computer skills, especially in Drilling Engineering software
* Job Holder will be committed to developing further skills and experience in their technical discipline & surrounding disciplines
* Well-developed knowledge of contractual / legal / terms & conditions / insurance issues
* Ability to drive high quality delivery of complex studies / projects with minimal supervision
* Previous experience in offshore supervision is a benefit
If you feel that you are well suited to the above opportunity and would like to find out more then please contact Orion Group for more information or apply by forwarding your current CV quoting reference: TR/06597.
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.