Scientist I - Biologics Cell Culture
Onsite in South San Francisco, CA
1 year contract
Hourly Pay Rate: $42-46/hr (employee benefits are available at a cost)
Orion Group is seeking for a resourceful and collaborative Scientist with strong Cell Culture experience to work with our global pharmaceutical client in South San Francisco, CA.
The Associate Scientist I will be a member of the CMC Biologics Cell Culture Development group, responsible for providing support for the development of novel biologics and bioprocess innovation projects, performing laboratory maintenance, and executing tasks to support departmental and project goals.
Candidates should have experience with standard cell culture, biochemistry, and molecular biology techniques and are expected to clearly communicate scientific rationale, methodology and results in written and oral formats.
- Follow established experimental protocols and assess results with supervision
- Maintain a "can-do" attitude to complete innovative projects while being flexible in work priorities based on business needs
- Perform routine tasks such as media/buffer preparation, thawing of cryopreserved cells, cell culture passaging, aseptic flask sampling, bioreactor sampling, and cell banking to support ongoing projects
- Take routine analytical measurements for cell growth, culture gas-content, pH, osmolality, nutrient and metabolite measurements and HPLC analysis of antibody titers
- Prepare bench top bioreactors and supporting equipment for sterile operation
- Maintain instrumentation, consumables inventory and general cleanliness of a developmental lab to create a safe, effective and efficient scientific working environment
- Display effective organization, verbal and written communication skills for effective explanation of experimental results, and adherence to good documentation practices
- Weekend work, as required
Must Have Qualifications:
- BS in Biological Sciences or Chemical/Biochemical Engineering or related field with 0-3 years of experience
- Experience with aseptic technique, preferably mammalian cell culture
- Hands-on experience with analytical instrumentation (Vi-Cell, BGA, HPLC and Cedex Bio) and cell culture equipment (biosafety cabinet, incubators, and microscopes)
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience in bioreactor operation and cell culture media preparation
- Experience in single use cell culture tools employed in bioprocess development, including but not limited to deep well plates, shake flasks, ambr250s, and stirred tank bioreactors
- Understand statistical analysis using software (JMP, SIMCA, Minitab, Design Expert, R) and statistical design of experiments (DOE)
- Capable of pushing heavy containers on wheels
- Must be comfortable with physical activities of constant standing, walking, and sitting with arm stretching into biosafety cabinets for cell culture work and occasionally lifting 25 lbs
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.