Scientist I - Genomics Research
Lake County, IL
6+ month initial contract
Hourly Pay Rate: $33-36/hr (Medical,dental,vision,401k employee benefits available at a cost)
Orion Group is seeking a results driven Scientist with strong attention to detail and out of the box problem solving skills to work with our global pharmaceutical client's Genomic Research Team here in Lake county, IL. The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is a center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports both Discovery and Development. The GRC goal is to develop world class genetics and genomics research focused on finding the right therapeutic targets and helping scientists better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior and response to our drugs in clinical trials across all therapeutic areas.
The One Functional Genomics team within the GRC provides expertise in genome editing and CRISPR technology to discover and validate novel drug targets for therapeutic pipelines in Immunology, Oncology and Neuroscience. We utilize cutting-edge genomic techniques to transform human genetics data into drug targets and to identify pathogenetic mechanisms. We apply high-throughput functional genomic screening approaches to in vitro and in vivo preclinical models with diverse molecular and phenotypic readouts. We perform hypothesis-driven research for target validation and execute mechanistic studies utilizing a variety of genomic and non-genomic tools in immortalized cell lines.
We have an exciting opportunity for a talented and highly motivated scientist to join our collaborative team of geneticists, molecular and cellular biologists, and computational biologists. Applicants should have broad laboratory research experience using cell and molecular biology techniques. Open communication and curiosity are essential. The candidate is expected to operate in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary setting and must be able to execute multiple research projects in parallel.
* Perform CRISPR/Cas9 and CRISPR/Cas12a functional genomics research based on lentiviral and RNP delivery methods
* Participate in cross-functional target identification and validation projects to support early drug discovery efforts in oncology and neuroscience
* Develop cell-based functional assays using cell lines.
* Perform arrayed and pooled CRISPR screens using fluorescent cell sorting
* Perform Molecular Biology techniques such as PCR and NGS library generation.
* Collaborate extensively with scientists across diverse functional and therapeutic areas in a matrixed research environment
* Communicate and present project designs and results clearly, both to individual stakeholders and in group settings
* Bachelors or Masters in Molecular biology, Cell biology, or in a related discipline with expertise in immortalized cells.
* Experience in molecular biology techniques, such as PCR and NGS library synthesis, is required.
* Experience in in vitro cell culture and development of cell-based assays is required.
* Experience in transfection, nucleofection, and lentiviral transduction is highly desirable.
* Ability to learn new skills and apply them in a fast-paced research environment is a must
* Creativity, problem-solving, and attention to details are required
* Strong communication and collaboration skills are essential. Ability to work independently as well as in a team is a must.
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.