Animal Care Technician II
Onsite in Abbott Park, IL
Length of assignment: 6 months to start, possibility to extend
Work Hours: Mon-Fri 6-2:30pm, every 3rd weekend Sat/Sun 6-2:30pm once trained.
Hourly Pay Rate: $17-20/hr (employee medical insurance available at a cost)
Orion Group is seeking for a detail oriented and highly organized Animal Health Technician to work on-site in Abbott Park, IL for our global pharmaceutical client's vivarium lab. The Animal Health Tech maintains the vivarium and support areas through accurate execution of assigned tasks.
* Directly performs the daily activities involved with cleaning and spraying cages, disinfecting and sanitizing equipment, and stocking supplies.
* Follows department procedures, to include but not be limited to: cage cleaning, room sanitation, equipment preparation and moving, and cage changes.
* Maintains daily husbandry tasks through proper execution of training materials and assigned tasks.
* Directly performs animal handling, carrying and holding animal cages and animals, using and moving carts, hoses or any other lab equipment and supplies.
* Follows department procedures to provide comprehensive observation and handling of various research animals.
* Assists with the preparation, receiving and housing of research animals.
* Documents tasks in both written and electronic platforms in accordance with regulatory expectations.
* Documentation style must be neat, organized, and consistent with departmental standards.
* Maintains area of responsibility by practicing good observation skills and attention to detail.
* Physical dexterity, visual and auditory acuity, and sensitivity to changes in environmental conditions are utilized in daily task performance.
* Uses experience and training to make minor decisions to execute daily responsibilities to support animal care operations.
* Applies basic computer skills to maintain regulatory compliance and training to include but not limited to, email, calendar, and computer-based training modules.
* Assures duties are completed accurately and in a timely manner not to impact pipeline activities and/or integrity of regulatory expectations.
* High School Diploma Required
* Problem-solving ability consisting of taking initiative to handle basic issues autonomously and working with team members for more complex issues to support animal care operations.
* Ability to consistently perform functions consistent with company leadership behaviors and attributes.
* Ability to safely lift 50 pounds, consistently stand and walk for extended periods of time, to include walking and adhering to safety rules and expectations including but not limited to: grasping, squeezing, pushing, pulling, squatting, stooping, and bending.
* Willing and able to work a rotating schedule which includes some level of mandatory weekend and holiday coverage.
* Ability to work in compliance with all local, federal, and USDA regulations.
* Good communication skills and the ability to maintain efficiency in the workplace and effective in a team environment.
* Attention to detail to provide exemplary animal welfare.
* Previous animal care experience preferred.
* Certification through AALAS is preferred
What hours and days will this person be working?
Mon-Fri 6-2:30pm, every 3rd weekend Sat/Sun 6-2:30pm once trained.
What are the top 5 skills/requirements this person is required have?
* Team Player
* Attention to detail
* Great communication skills
What years of experience, education, and/or certification are required?
* High School Diploma Required
What is a nice to have (but not required) regarding skills, requirements, experience, education, or certification?
* Certification through AALAS, Previous animal care experience
* Prior experience working with animals is great - petco, petsmart, vet clinic etc.
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.