- Posted 30 June 2022
- Salary Negotiable
- Contact NameBreanna Casimiro
We have a current opportunity for a Quality & Reliability Engineer on a permanent basis. This position will be based in Davis, CA on a permanent, full-time basis. For further information about this position please apply.
The Quality and Reliability Engineer will report to our Quality and Applications Engineering Manager in our Product Development department in Davis, CA. The business unit develops complex electro-mechanical robotics and teleoperated vehicles for use in the deep ocean. As a Quality and Reliability Engineer you will be responsible for defining, measuring, and analyzing the quality and reliability of new and existing products such as Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROV's), robotic manipulators, and subsea control systems. This position works collaboratively with other departments such as Product Development, Operations, Supplier Development, Safety, QA, and Customer Support to improve product performance and ensure our products exceed customer expectations in quality and reliability.
* Work independently and on teams to collect and analyze data to drive root cause of in-house and field failures. Develop and implement mitigation plans.
* Perform failure analysis of failed components, typically metals, though the use of test equipment, tools, outside labs, and industry documents.
* Use reliability tools to simulate, analyze or predict actual use conditions and recommend design adjustments to improve system reliability.
* Monitor and analyze multiple sources of product or process data to ascertain potential requirements for product reliability improvement.
* Review engineering specifications, drawings, and models, recommending modifications to improve quality of product.
* Work with cross-functional teams on quality and reliability improvement initiatives to reduce system and component failure rates.
* Support the EPD (Enterprise Product Development) as a Quality representative in Product Design.
* Coordinate and potentially lead DVPQP efforts (Design Verification and Product Qualification Planning)
* Analyze concept designs and associated qualification plans to achieve product specifications and to meet product requirements.
* Participate on failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA) teams and use mathematical models to identify high risk components and support mitigation plans.
* Participate with engineers in design review meetings to report quality findings and make recommendations.
* Prepare, update, and maintain documents, metrics and records relating to Quality and Reliability Engineering.
* Determine components requiring environmental testing and specify sample sizes needed to obtain statistically valid data.
* Determine tests and other criteria to qualify new and revised product designs. Execute tests, track progress, and report results.
* Plan and conduct tests at supplier, in-house, or at field locations to evaluate product or process quality and reliability.
* Manage and maintain a reliability lab and associated equipment. Develop processes and procedures to facilitate testing within the lab.
* Develop new suppliers to continuously advance capability in producing new technologies to support product supply or quality and reliability improvements.
* Evaluate suppliers' quality and reliability practices and drive improvement.
* Assess suppliers or in-house fabrication processes to identify, measure, and implement the critical to quality features.
* Participate in quality systems internal audits to verify compliance and develop tools and processes for improvement.
* Support Schilling's quality management systems, processes, and certifications.
* Other applicable duties, as assigned or required.
* Minimum of BS in Engineering, or related field.
* Basic knowledge of hydraulic, mechanical, and electrical systems and components.
* Basic knowledge of metallurgy and materials science.
* Basic knowledge with reliability analysis tools including statistical analysis, reliability predictions, and qualification testing.
* Basic knowledge in the use of hand tools, machining, and mechanical assembly.
* Basic knowledge of project and time management skills.
* Independently execute testing qualifications.
* Minimum of 5 years working in Engineering or related field.
* In-depth knowledge of materials science, fracture mechanics, and corrosion processes.
* Collaboration in product development cycles on material and corrosion
* Experienced in mechanical and environmental testing.
* Skilled in the analysis of system designs for material usage and corrosion prevention.
* Competent with measurement tools and equipment and knowledge of metrology techniques.
* Skilled in the ability to setup, run, and troubleshoot electromechanical systems.
* Experience with Lean or six-sigma design and manufacturing.
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.