A fantastic new opportunity for a Project Engineer, on a contract basis for 24-36 months based out of Calgary, Alberta.
While the work scope has been very stable with minimum change from FID and EPC Contract award, various circumstances are now generating the need to study and develop a relatively small number of business-critical projects that need to be managed through fit for purpose decision gates and in parallel with the execution of the main EPC possibly by using alternative Contractors.
This role will work within the project execution team with a dotted line to the overall project team in the growing asset organisation. The incumbent will need to manage the progression of a specific fast track the project with a headline value of approximately 80 Million CAD. The current project currently in execute phase with completed engineering and procurement and fabrication, has past it's peak and construction reaching peak of activities.
The Project Engineer will deliver through two EPC/EPCM contractors for the specific scope. While the Project Engineer will be organizationally part of the Project organization where the project technical authority resides, her/his work will be integrated with the Asset team as well as other resources that may or not yet be available in the Asset organization.
Execution of a project scope specifically required to address a business opportunity aimed to mitigate and de-risk internal and external impacts on project and operational performance of the future asset. The initiative will be focused to de-risk potential production, regulatory and reputation impacts in the early years of asset production. Your experience within brownfield projects within an Oil and Gas operator asset organisation will be essential in your successful outcomes.
Position and Responsibilities Include:
- The Project that this position will serve is estimated at approximately 80 Million CAD and is undergoing an accelerated FEED phase. It is expected that this position will join the team during that phase and transition into leadership of the project for execution.
- No direct reports but the Project Engineer will be required to manage delivery through matrix use of Company resources, Affiliate support if needed, the EPC/EPCM contractors as well as the asset organisation. The PE will be instrumental in delivering overall project objectives for production, regulatory compliance and maintaining reputation.
- Overseeing the EPC/EPCM contractor activities, ensuring all scopes are ready for execution and fully integrated into the Integrated Activity Planning process.
Position accountabilities Include:
- Verify and analyse schedules in co-operation with the Project Services department.
- Verify and analyse progress curves, manpower needs and outlooks and address deviation against stage plans.
- Develop and monitor (leading and lagging) KPIs, prevent performance issues and identify issues early followed by driving for improvement internally and with contractors, escalate where needed.
- Liaising with the required teams across the organisation and project development workshops planning and assuring availability of required resource.
- Manage external budget for technical support by staff from company affiliates.
- Proactively identify risks and manage through Easyrisk.
- Ensure compliance with DCAF, PCAP and DAM
- Proactively manage the project decision register ensuring that decisions affecting key project milestones are assessed and recorded with a record of high decision quality.
- Ensure required assurance events are activated and planned at critical stage gates in delivery.
- Drive activities and data accumulation leading to a decision review board conclusion regarding project execution strategy poste early engineering (FEED).
- Act as Contract Holder for key execution Contractors where applicable.
- Actively embed company objective of Safest Project on Earth (both from the integrity and safety points of view).
- Actively embed Flawless Project Delivery implementation program.
- Ensure comprehensive review of lessons learned as part of project delivery.
- Set up and lead regular meetings in the Company and with Contractors to collect steer and report of trends.
- Reporting and communicating weekly & monthly status of the project.
Experience and Qualifications Required:
- 10-15 years relevant experience in a project engineering role working directly with EPC/EPCM contractors.
- Experience of delivering brownfield projects within oil and gas operator asset organisation.
- Engineering degree.
- Broad exposure to oil and gas business with exposure on both technical and coordination-management in support of practical solutions. Solid communication skills.
- Sensitive to the issues arising from working in a multicultural environment.
- Proven ability to work in, motivate and drive high performance in multi-discipline teams.
- High energy level with a relentless focus on own and others performance and development.
- LNG experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to work largely autonomously and yet recognizing when and where input is required.
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.