Job Title - Principal Mechanical Engineer
Location - Aberdeen
The perfect candidate would be :
* Someone with a proven track record of package managing a compressor for the oil and gas offshore sector.
* Strong communicator, able to manage queries and ensure package details are communicated.
* Awareness of the commercial aspects of delivering a critical package.
* Able to provide guidance to junior engineers.
* Package management experience
* Multi discipline EPCC engineering experience
* Contribute to the delivery of engineering excellence through:
o Definition and approval of technical scopes
o Executing assigned scopes of work
o Providing technical expertise to the business
o Contributing to business growth
* Performs complex assignments often requiring development of new or improved products, processes or techniques
* Assesses feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering designs, products, and equipment
* Uses advanced technical knowledge to perform engineering assignments and produce engineering deliverables including complex problems and to complete any project tasks with minimal guidance and direction
* May serve as the Lead Engineer or the project Technical Authority on projects and hold advanced level specialization in one or more areas of expertise
* Functions as a technical specialist who develops applications, hypothesis, approaches and applies advanced engineering concepts to unique engineering problems
* In addition to specialization, generally directs highly qualified professionals engaged in complex engineering projects
* Provides technical reviews for complex project within the area of expertise
Definition and approval of technical scopes
* Assists in establishing project aims and outcomes to contribute to the development of a comprehensive project design
* Evaluates current procedures and recommends changes to improve the efficiency of planning and scheduling projects
* Makes recommendations on project organization requirements, work methods and procedures and technical innovations by devising practical and economical solutions to problems in own or various engineering disciplines
* Supervises and participates in delivery of complex engineering tasks
* Formulates and directs investigations or prototype, model and system studies, evaluating and interpreting the data obtained and recommending practical application of results
* Contributes to successful project completion by participating in the resolution of issues such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of standard materials, and complex coordination requirements
* Coordinates implementation of design engineering solutions.
* Reviews project-related documentation to ensure accuracy
* Supervises complex engineering tasks related to a portion of a major project
* Work consists of complex procedures and tasks where diagnostic ability is required to assess the situation and identify appropriate actions to follow
* Assignments cover broad and complex subject matter where issues and factors may be characterized by unusual demands and require additional evaluation to establish the nature and scope of the problem
* Exercises mature business judgement in devising practical, economical solutions
* Participate in incident investigations as required
* Assesses work against standards, aims and specifications.
* Adhere to and comply with relevant discipline specific procedures and provide feedback for continuous improvement.
* Management of key stakeholders in the execution and delivery of contracted activities
* Organising, active participation and occasional leading of design reviews
Providing technical expertise
* Provides expert advice on design processes, construction methods and other technical areas
* Advises on the development of new engineering methods and participates in short and long-range planning.
* Solves problems requiring application of research data in own and allied professional disciplines; exercises mature business judgment in devising practical, economical solutions
* Advises on the development of new engineering methods and participates in short and long-range planning
* Evaluates options and selects technical solutions that optimises technical and financial success
* Acts as technical custodian for low to medium value bids and proposals
* Provides awareness of technical advancements and new ways to serve customer needs
* Helps to establish a culture of technical excellence through role modelling and communicating expectations
* ISCED Level 6 Bachelors (minimum) or Level 7 Masters (preferred) Degree in engineering discipline, alternatively, tertiary level education combined with suitable industry experience can be used to demonstrate equivalence
* Chartership, PE Status or relevant professional license/registration accredited by a recognized body preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
* Technically competent in own discipline, pursues continuous professional development of skills and knowledge according to standards
* Professional level of knowledge of relevant regulatory framework and legislation
* Ability to supervise, manage, motivate and mentor technical professionals
* Multi-discipline knowledge, knowledge of advanced principles and techniques of engineering as well as quality management standards and practices required
* Consistently demonstrates creativity and innovation in finding solutions and alternatives to address complex client requirements
* Effective communication and interpersonal skills for inter-departamental and external company interactions
* Ability to diagnose and resolve significant and unusual problems and generate substantial improvements to practices and procedures
* Agile, with ability to adapt and troublesheet solutions
* Ability to broadly interpret principles, theories, and concepts of an engineering specialty
* Possess a good knowledge of the various Business Units, Functions, Sectors and services offered within business area, a general understanding of other Client business offerings and some ability to network and connect internal stakeholders
* Has a in depth understanding of Client's business position and commercial objectives, is able to implement recommend improvements to those commercial objectives
* Solutions-oriented and creative, able to apply process and rigour to deliver quality solutions
* Compelling communicator both verbally and in written form
* Good interpersonal and team working skills, builds positive relationships with supervisors, subordinates, peers and clients
* Enthusiastic, conscientious and committed to continuous professional development of self and others
* High level of awareness and commitment to safety in all aspects of daily work.
* Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
* Highly motivated and demonstrates personal initiative
* Possesses integrity, strong work ethic, positive attitude, and is dependable
* Adaptable and flexible to the changing needs of projects
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.