We have a current opportunity for a Engineering Technician - Encroachments on a temporary basis. The position will be based in Houston. For further information about this position please apply.
Engineer/Engineering Technician - Encroachments
Provides engineering support to encroachments by third parties entities, Damage Prevention and Operations personnel. Manages a broad selection of encroachments projects and inquiries for the Natural Gas, CO2, Liquid Products, terminals, and pipelines. Projects include but are not limited to pipeline relocations and existing facility upgrades.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
* The individual must possess the ability to associate with a wide variety of people (personalities, skill, and education levels, etc.) with tact, courtesy and professionalism.
* Generate project alternatives, estimates, budgets request, schedules, materials requisitions, and contract specifications for encroachments projects.
* Coordinate encroachments design and construction activities with KM Project Managers and Operations, field personnel, procurement, engineering, ROW, permitting, EH&S, Control Center, and Integrity assuring the safety and reliability of KM pipeline network.
* Review and approve encroachments inquiries (includes drawings review, load stress and vibrations calculations, anomalies review and coordinate with Damage Prevention team the location of KM facilities).
* Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and industry standards for facilities to be constructed near company facilities.
* Effectively prioritize workload between multiple encroachments projects/inquiries.
* Appropriately communicates with his/her manager on status and developments of projects assigned and /or in progress.
* Prepares accurate monthly encroachments projects status report.
* Ability to take on new projects and shift priorities on short notice.
* Job level will be determined based on experience and industry knowledge.
* Associates Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Petroleum or Civil Engineering.
Experience / specific knowledge:
* Minimum 3 years practical engineering experience in pipelines / petroleum terminals / utility field(s).
* Knowledge of industry's regulatory compliance requirements and standards (49 CFR Part 192/195 and API 1102).
Certifications, licenses, registrations:
* Possess and maintain valid driver's license and be insurable by company's insurance carrier.
Competencies, skills, and abilities:
* Ability to apply engineering principles.
* Analytical problem solver.
* Ability to conduct feasibility studies, determine manpower, cost estimates, and develop engineering criteria.
* Ability to use Microsoft Office System (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Must be able to setup and manipulate complex Excel spread sheets.
* Ability to read and effectively communicate orally and in writing in English with co-workers, vendors, customers, contractors, and regulatory officials.
* Ability to cooperatively work with people and accept supervision and direction.
* Ability to handle stress of meeting deadlines.
* Ability to climb tank stairs and walk over uneven surfaces on the pipeline right of way or at field facilities.
* Essentially indoors but must be able to work outdoors in project & maintenance activities.
* Availability to work extended hours and travel with short notice in emergency situations.
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.