We have a current opportunity for an Accountant specialising in Cost Recovery on a permanent basis. The position will be based in either Uxbridge or Aberdeen. The client is an upstream energy company with a well established global presence.
The Accountant - Cost Recovery is a key position for the reporting and budgeting of first spend G&A, supporting management of the time writing process, delivery of G&A audit and involves significant interaction with primary stakeholders as a business partner for cost centre managers. The role aims to provide insightful analysis to support and drive a culture of cost management and accountability whilst focusing on process improvements to create opportunities for value added activities.
* The G&A Accounting team is seeking a qualified accountant (or at the final stage) to join the team, who shows initiative, is a quick learner and demonstrates a commitment to effective teamwork.
* You will be a confident communicator who can support the areas under your responsibility; provide financial advice and challenge to deliver value for the functions.
* The Organisation has a continuous improvement culture, therefore a strong focus on learning, utilising focused training and on the job experience to enhance skills for both current and future roles.
* As a part of the G&A Accounting Team, this role is responsible for First Spend and the integrity of associated account balances including timely analysis and reporting.
* This is a great opportunity for someone with planning and problem-solving skills who can work independently with various stakeholders.
* The role also provides the opportunity to demonstrate initiative in identifying and implementing process improvements to ensure we deliver fit for purpose high quality service.
* To ensure you are continually learning, growing, and being challenged, this position offers a unique opportunity for a potential move into another role within the Finance team after an agreed period to further develop a well-rounded knowledge base of the function.
Process Improvement & Communication
* Proactively identify gaps in processes or opportunities for improvement. Work with multiple stakeholders to agree and implement an improvement plan.
* Document and streamline processes so they are optimised to enable increased focus on value added activities.
* Create and maintain a rolling plan for key activities to ensure roles, responsibilities and deadlines are agreed, documented and progress is communicated.
* Be a self-starter who can work with key stakeholders to represent financial matters. Including coordinating and collating budgets and outlooks for selected costs centres, assisting cost centre managers with submissions, and preparing/analysing consolidated results and variances for presentation to senior management.
* Be a confident communicator who can pro-actively monitor accuracy of time writing including status of missing time sheets, onboarding of new starts / refresh training and periodic reporting using business analytical tools. This includes providing insight to the business in relation to Timewriting allocations, particularly for alignment sessions between functions and assets.
* Be an effective team player who can support the annual General & Administration (G&A) audit ensuring external auditors have all requested information from various parts of the business and all queries are resolved.
* Be able to work independently and show initiative to maintain accounting policies & procedures for First Spend G&A.
* Have a strong attention to detail to prepare balance sheet reconciliations to ensure accuracy and proactively bring any irregularities to resolution.
* Ensure compliance with SOX and internal controls through monitoring and reporting where appropriate and ensuring existing processes are kept up to date.
* Be accountable for preparing invoices relating to CUML.
* Have a 'can do attitude' to support the Financial Reporting Team in the delivery of Legal Entity Financial Statements
* Have strong problem-solving skills to investigate and resolve complicated ad-hoc duties as required.
Who are we looking for?
* The successful candidate will be part of a team so providing support and vacation cover for other team members is essential. This also provides opportunities for cross training and learning across the team.
* Ability to plan and prioritise to meet tight, sometimes conflicting deadlines.
* Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written).
* Self-confident, self-aware, approachable, flexible, and independent "can do" attitude that accommodates a proven track record of creating and implementing improvements and solutions.
* A related degree or equivalent experience.
* You will already be a Qualified Accountant (or at the final stage)
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.