- Posted 22 June 2022
- Contact NameAlan Patterson
Our client is currently recruiting for the position of Senior Economist and Business Partner, based in Aberdeen.
* Reporting to the Head of Business Partnering the Senior Economist and Business Partner will provide key support to all stakeholders through risk-based economic modelling and analysis as well as inputting into Asset planning and strategy throughout the Business Planning Cycle.
* Investment and portfolio analyses and co-ordination of the build-up of the long-term capital budgets.
* Preparation of internal and external joint venture budgets and forecasts.
* Support preparation of license/JV reports and JV asset management reporting
* Support of the performance management and controlling of the assets to create visibility for, and early challenge of, key performance issues.
* Contribute to/Align the templates & format for ALR and Plan (co-ordinate with PP&A team).
* Identify & drive improvements and good practices in day-to-day activities.
* The Senior Economist and Business Partner will facilitate the interaction and knowledge transfer where required, between the wider asset teams and the Finance Partnering team.
* Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders.
* Have the business and Finance knowledge to facilitate between the business and Finance Partnering team as well as the Fin Ops and the PP&A teams.
* Provide support in developing and analysing asset/hub level options and overall asset level strategy.
* Provide challenge for change by seeking out value opportunities and input to initiatives critical to delivering the asset level strategy.
* Support the assets in the yearly Business Planning Cycle.
* Economic Modelling and Analysis & Decision Support
* Provide analytical support to the asset team and act as the focal point for all economic modelling and analysis on investment decisions such as drill-or-drop decisions, decommissioning projects, development concept, new wells, IOR projects etc.
* Interrogation, review and challenge of technical assumptions provided by other areas of the business i.e. subsurface, drilling, operations etc;
* Understand and advise key stakeholders on potential opportunities through use of the appropriate economic analysis tools (PALANTIR etc) combined with probabilistic modelling and scenario testing facilitating an objective review.
* Support/drive the Life-of-field reviews and key milestones in the yearly Business Planning process and other decision meetings (IDC, Board, ...) incl coordinating inputs from asset teams, preparing papers and presentation materials.
* Provide analysis of asset and goodwill values to be used in mid-year and year-end impairment reviews.
* Analyse and evaluate the license/non-op portfolio (where applicable); volumes, investment program, asset value using economic tools and industry software.
* Maintain hub models and project dependencies in the relevant systems (such as Palantir)
* Work closely with the Tax team to understand and adequately reflect the tax impact of investment opportunities.
* Aid in implementing standards and controls.
* Responsible for internal budgeting, forecasting and controlling for dedicated assets.
* Preparing internal operational and revised operational plan
* Controlling asset information in Group reports and forecasts
* Financial controlling and follow up assets
* Responsible for external budgeting, reporting and follow up on dedicated operated assets.
* Preparing license budget &work plan
* Preparing license/JV reports
* Preparing financial information to management committee
Experience & Qualifications:
* Strong analytical skills & critical thinking- Able to perform complex analytical problem solving, producing a high quality and fit-for-purpose work products and provide check and challenge to the business in their decision making in an effective and constructive manner.
* Strong communication skills - ability to summarise complex matters and communicate effectively to influence a range of audiences.
* Good people skills and team player attitude - ability to develop effective working relationships with key stakeholders and peers; ability to work beyond nominal job description depending on new opportunities arising.
* Strategic thinking - able to step away from the detail and combine data with external trends and market data to see the bigger picture; identify improvements and subsequently implement an appropriate solution.
* Sound business judgment and ability to identify opportunities and Ability to adjust/manage workload in line with at times tight deadlines.
* Culturally aware and sensitive to local practices and issues.
* Drive, determination, energy and a positive attitude.
* Able to work with limited supervision.
* Experienced within economic and financial modelling.
* Ability to carry out project/investment appraisals, probabilistic analysis and Monte Carlo simulation.
* Practical hands-on experience with Palantir suite preferred, particularly CASH.
* Advanced MS Excel and PowerPoint skills (incl think cell)
* Understanding of the oil and gas market and technical disciplines
* Familiarity with driving performance management culture through active use of KPIs
* Master's degree (in Finance/Economics/Accounting or equivalent) or equivalent professional qualification
* Previous experience in the Oil and Gas industry in the relevant discipline, including experience of petroleum economics with an E&P operator
* Strong economics background with good knowledge of relevant fiscal regimes
* Track record of building economic and financial models; presenting challenging ideas to business leaders; creating robust forecasting and budgeting as well as underpinning decisions with sound financial accounting and planning
* Additional experience preferred
* Experience in business finance and investment appraisal
If you feel that you are well suited to the above opportunity and would like to find out more then please contact Orion Group for more information or apply by forwarding your current CV quoting reference: TR/055448.
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.