Safety Assessment Specialist
- Posted 11 May 2023
- Salary £74.03 - £99.46 per hour
- Job type Contract
- DisciplineEngineering Skilled Trades Recruitment
- Contact NameStewart Bryson
Location: Reading -2-3 days per week onsite
Manages and advises in the assessment of nuclear, explosive and other major hazards associated with actual, planned and/or decommissioned facilities, plant, equipment or product. Develops strategies for the development of safety assessments (safety case/safety basis/risk assessments). Completes complex safety analyses, assessments and associated documentation.
- Lead and manages a team at functional level to deliver team and personal objectives meeting operational plan capability plans.
- Sets direction and develops a shared understanding of individual's roles in delivering the vision and strategy.
- Manages the technical input to the planning and production of safety assessments and justifications.
- Delivers safety assessments and other technical inputs to safety documentation to agreed quality and delivery standards.
- Provides technical input to the production of company policy, guidance and strategy to agreed delivery standards.
- Produces risk assessments and other technical inputs to safety justifications for a range of facilities, including radioactive, explosives and chemical plant.
- Monitors the use of risk assessment methods and technique.
- Provides technical input to the design and/or delivery of technical training.
- Coaches others in the use of relevant safety assessment techniques.
- Additional accountabilities for this job profile may be defined and appointed through the Chief Engineer Management Arrangements, with appointees listed within the Company Design Authorities and Technical Authorities, as held in the company management system.
- Ensuring that company strategies, policies and management system requirements for safety are communicated and understood.
- Take ownership of safety documentation as directed by Group Leader, Nuclear Safety.
- Chair HAZOP Meetings.
- Lead in the production of safety justification, documentation as per the latest MSPs.
- Promote relevant good practice with the Safety Assessment Specialism i.e. SHAZOP, MSCR, OSCAR etc.
- Contributing to processes that assess performance of the development and use of safety assessments and Licence Condition compliance and identify where improvements could be made.
- Coaching graduates, early career and SAS Assessors in safety assessment approaches and techniques.
- To present and/or attend conferences on behalf of SESH in line with work requirements.
- To assist in verifying and checking safety documentation.
- Maintaining and promoting high standards in Environment, Safety, Health, Security and Quality.
You need the following competencies:
- Understanding of ALARP
- Use of hazard identification techniques, development of hazard and fault schedules
- Understanding of nuclear hazard management
- Experience of undertaking nuclear hazard analysis (HAZAN):
- Unmitigated dose
- assessments to derive safety function classification
- derivation of classification of the required safety systems
- Understanding of types of protection methods and the substantiation of those required
- Know how to develop a safety case
- Nuclear safety case writing
- Experience in safety case
- Experience over qualifications
- Ability to technically write safety case documents
- Manage and work with delivery partners - strong stakeholder skills at all levels
- Nuclear background - nuclear safety cases or nuclear safety assessments
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.