- Posted 27 April 2022
- SalaryUS$64 - US$69 per hour + Health, Dental, Vision, 401K
- LocationSan Clemente
- DisciplineLife Science
- Contact NameDanielle StGeorge
R&D Engineer IV
10+month initial contract
San Clemente, CA
Orion Group is now hiring an R&D Engineer IV to work onsite for our intravenous medical device manufacturer in San Clemente, CA!
The Senior R&D Engineer will be an integral team member in the early stages of product development. As part of this team you have a pivotal role in the research, development, and implementation of new products through interaction with marketing, commercial, and medical groups to identify and address unmet patient needs.
Key responsibilities of this position include supporting the core development of new products from research to implementation using specialized knowledge and skills typically acquired through advanced education. The Incumbent must be capable of working independently and with a team to investigate specific areas of interest/opportunity for business development which often span multiple job areas or specialties. The ability to quickly learn new concepts and technologies is essential. As an individual researcher, carries out complex or novel assignments requiring the development of new or improved techniques or procedures. Receives technical mentorship on complex problems, but independently resolves and develops approaches and solutions to the problem. Takes ownership to drive actionable project level tasks to address those needs and challenges while adhering to established design control processes and good engineering and documentation practices.
The Senior R&D Engineer will be expected to serve as the subject matter expert on a variety of topics and resolve technical challenges as they arise through the use of sound engineering principles, experimental, computational and analytical methods. Performs as a consultant on a technical specialty, a type of facility or equipment, or a program function.
R&D ENGINEER IV RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Pursue complex problems as part of a team by applying sound engineering principles, utilizing experimental, computational and analytical methods to address a range of technical challenges
* Plans and leads the design, development, and implementation of new products
* Recommends and enforces design for compliance to applicable standards for medical devices
* Conducts testing (Exploratory, Bench, V&V), develops test protocols, and generates written reports according to internal company standards
* Writes and defines product specifications and requirements, product architecture and design, product performance and usability
* Assesses the feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering evaluation tests for products or equipment when necessary data are insufficient, or confirmation by testing is advisable
* Work is encouraged to result in the development of new or refined products, processes, materials, equipment and/or methods
* Design and model devices for a variety of products using SolidWorks
* Adheres to established design control processes and good engineering practices
* Partner with customers and suppliers on high-volume disposable medical device design and will be heavily involved with solid modeling, plastics/polymer engineering and injection molding.
* Work on special assignments as they arise
R&D Engineer IV Qualifications:
* An ability to quickly learn new concepts and technologies for developing and improving innovative products
* Proven hands-on experience designing and developing medical devices
* Knowledge of medical grade plastics, general injection molding principles, and common joining methods of plastics
* Excellent analytical skills and understanding of engineering mechanics and physics
* Experience with design of experiments (DOE) and statistical methods
* Basic SolidWorks competency required
* Good verbal and interpersonal skills
* Familiarity with machine shop practices
* Familiarity of drafting standards
* Must be at least 18 years of age
* Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college or university in Mechanical Engineering or a related field
* Minimum 7 years relevant experience or M.S. degree with 4 years relevant experience
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.