- Posted 01 October 2022
- Salary Negotiable
- Contact NameCatriona Cooper
To manage procurement and contracting processes for capital, abandonment, wells, and subsurface spend within Spirit Energy's governance processes, identifying and mitigating related risks whilst supporting the operational needs of the business. To lead, motivate and coordinate a highly competent team of professionals with proven expertise in projects, decommissioning, wells and subsurface contracting, ensuring agility, pace and performance delivery within Spirit Energy's standards and governance structures. To maintain up to date and relevant market awareness (including energy transition/net zero developments), knowledge, networks and appropriate relationships with strategic suppliers and industry stakeholders, that enable the creation of high value commercial opportunities, that deliver Spirit Energy's objectives - targets include designing and implementing strategies that enable capital efficiency, decommissioning liability reduction, general cost optimisation across areas of responsibility and supplier HSE performance.
Role Deliverables and Responsibilities
▪ Manage, coach, contribute and enable their team to be external market experts for projects, decommissioning, wells and subsurface contracting, understanding the needs of technical leaders and supporting them to deliver their strategic objectives within the parameters of Spirit Energy's standards and governance requirements ▪ Manage contract execution with contract owners and other stakeholders to ensure intended outcomes are delivered safely, within budget and to schedule, using CSM and related performance management tools appropriately ▪ Identify and develop collaborative and value centred relationships appropriately with the most strategic suppliers within projects, decommissioning, wells and subsurface contracting activity. ▪ Manage the provision of advice and guidance to business stakeholders as required, proactively identifying and fielding new value opportunities or further enhancing existing. ▪ Ensure commercial and contractual risk is considered in all technical documentation and that the company is not exposed to undue contractual risk. ▪ To manage, resolve, and / or escalate disputes, claims and related contractual issues with relevant stakeholders to minimise risk and reach outcomes acceptable to Spirit Energy. ▪ This role also supports Spirit Energy's Net Zero / Energy Transition objectives from a supply chain management and project support perspective.
Working with People / Leadership
▪ Establishes and maintains a working culture in line with Spirit's core values. ▪ Is familiar with Spirit Energy's Leadership Expectations - clearly demonstrates their own capability in line with these. ▪ Lives by Spirit Energy's safety principles and is passionate about having an incidentfree workplace. ▪ Builds and leads a high-performing team accountable for team performance and delivery as well as their wellbeing and development. ▪ Leads and instils technical and professional excellence, ensuring capabilities remain in line with industry/discipline/function development and best practice. ▪ Communicates and influences with impact, clarity and conviction, leading effective change and providing regular and appropriate team, business and organisation updates. Consults and listens, taking on ideas, building rapport and enabling effective two-way communication. ▪ Leads the development and management of their workforce and resourcing plan effectively, within the strategic planning cycle, over a medium/long-term time horizon, ensuring employee wellbeing (holidays, working time, etc.) is given due consideration alongside business and cost requirements. Manage shorter-term issues as they arise. ▪ Is familiar with, communicates, supports, applies and adheres to Spirit Energy's people policies and procedures. ▪ Emphasises the importance of environmental, social and governance criteria. Proactively works towards making the organisation socially responsible in all aspects of its business.
Performance Management & Development
▪ Leads the performance management process across their team; is clear on the strategic objectives of the organisation and communicates/clarifies the role their team plays in their delivery; ensures every employee has clear goals and objectives and are provided with continuous feedback in a timely, honest and constructive manner. ▪ Role models and coaches their managers and teams in living the Values, demonstration of high standards of behaviour, performance management and employee development. Sponsors skills, competency and career development, in line with the organisation's policy and process. Encourages development through lateral moves as well as challenging assignments and progression, fostering breadth and depth of skill and competency development.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
▪ Recognises bias, conscious or unconscious and actively works to eliminate such bias from their own and others' approach to their work and colleagues. ▪ Actively seeks to encourage and employ diversity in their team and manages an inclusive workplace, bringing alternative perspectives, opinions and thinking to all aspects of their work. ▪ Eliminates the use of everyday language that may leave others feeling excluded or discriminated against. Actively leads and encourages discussion, collaboration and positive actions on inclusion within their teams and amongst peers, which persuades and brings positive change when needed. ▪ Creates equal opportunities for all and treats people equally and with consideration of protected characteristics.
▪ Embeds Spirit Energy's Leadership Expectations into their everyday work and interactions, continuously learning and developing these competencies for themselves as well as their teams. ▪ A decisive leader who sets high standards and drives performance - leading through [senior] leaders to deliver through their teams. Is agile, flexible, open to challenge and able to challenge appropriately. ▪ Great communication skills that informs/shares knowledge clearly and unambiguously, influences and persuades in a constructive way, sometimes influencing a change in the course of conversations, to gain agreement and collaboration. ▪ Able to demonstrate strong engagement and influencing skills across a business, with the ability to build effective relationships supporting value delivery whilst also challenging stakeholders where appropriate to delivering stakeholder and business objectives and value ▪ Demonstrable experience in complex and ambiguous situations - able to adopt a calm and composed mentality that promotes proactivity and deals with disagreements, problems and issues in an open and constructive manner. ▪ Leads and promotes organisational change; makes collaborative, high-quality and timely decisions; takes informed risks and learns from failures. ▪ Builds and maintains a professional network, leads and contributes credibly to industry conversations on important issues; seeks to create and maintain good relationships internally and externally across various organisational levels; puts other people at ease and quickly builds rapport.
Key Technical Skills
▪ Excellent understanding and hands on experience of energy industry contracting practices particularly in relation to capital and construction projects, decommissioning, wells and subsurface ▪ Strong legal and contract knowledge related to capital and construction projects, decommissioning, wells and subsurface contract development and negotiation, including LOGIC models and relevant strategies such as EPIC, EPC, SURF, EPCM, and a range of reimbursement mechanisms relevant to these strategies ▪ Experience in project management techniques, planning, scheduling and implementation ▪ Ability to prioritise, manage complexity effectively and provide clear leadership ▪ Excellent general business skills and up-to-date knowledge of energy industry and regulatory practices relevant to procurement across Spirit Energy operating domains.
▪ Relevant degree or equivalent ▪ MCIPS or equivalent.
▪ Proven ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with business stakeholders and key suppliers ▪ Significant experience of complex contracting across capital project, decommissioning, wells and subsurface areas with multi-hundred-million-pound annual expenditure ▪ Excellent written and oral communication skills. ▪ Strong negotiation skills and a proven record of concluding complex contractual agreements, claims and disputes, and significant value creation ▪ Mentoring and coaching others.
Mandatory Training required
▪ All Spirit Energy mandatory training as requested, including Compliance training usually provided annually.
Please refer the Job Description and Person Specification on Pipeline for Job Details and Job Dimensions.
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.