- Posted 22 June 2022
- SalaryUmbrella PAYE
- DisciplineBuilt Environment
- Contact NameAngela Henderson
Principal & Senior Mission Systems Engineers
1 year contract+
Rate - highly competitive
SC level security clearance required
Babcock is rapidly establishing itself as an international Naval ship designer and builder. They have built on the success of the UK MoD Type 31 Frigate and are pursuing opportunities for frigate export variants (AH140) with overseas customers. As well as supporting exports of frigates the engineering team is actively working on other complex shipbuilding programs around the world, from small fast attack craft all the way up to aircraft carriers.
They are looking to significantly expand their engineering and ship design teams in order to exploit these opportunities and so if you are interested in taking your career in an exciting new direction then consider Babcock for your next move.
You will join a national team of over 700 engineers and designers within the Marine Sector of Babcock. They are a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine system engineering, electrical engineering, design modelling and project support services to the marine and defence markets. They have base offices in Bristol, Rosyth or Plymouth, and offer flexible working from home coupled with occasional office attendance and travel to meet project requirements.
Main Purpose of Role
The role is within their complex shipbuilding programme, developing designs through concept and early stage design as well as supporting the bidding process. The roles available are for a Principal level and Senior level Mission Systems Engineer. The roles are required to contribute and lead product development throughout the design lifecycle and provide technical support to their key customers, ensuring efficient and effective delivery of engineering outputs.
The role requires demonstrable experience in the development of mission systems on marine platforms, an ability to work within a multi-discipline team, and good written and verbal communication skills.
Key Result Areas
- Engagement with Customers to develop and agree an unambiguous statement of requirements
- Produce sensor and weapon suite concept designs
- Specification, selection and/or management of external suppliers (component and service) as required
- Manage risk within the project lifecycle
- Objectively assess different design options
- Produce design documentation in support of a bid or project lifecycle
- Preparing and checking design documentation as required to time, cost and quality
- Authorisation of design documentation as required
- Chair and/or contribute to Design Reviews
- Managing bid responses
- Representing Group and/or Department as required
- Management of multi discipline engineering and design teams to time, cost and quality
- Train and develop self and others
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
The roles require successful candidates to have a high level of developed knowledge, the role is directly accountable for design development, and determines solutions to problems and issues within their specialist subject area.
Provides help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working, and their development.
- Ideally degree qualified but HND/HNC level qualification in an engineering discipline with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered
- Be a member of a relevant institution
- Hold Chartered status for Principal role
- Either already UK Security cleared to SC level or able for achieve UK SC clearance (UK Nationals only)
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.