- Posted 02 August 2022
- Salary Negotiable
- LocationPort Arthur
- Contact NameKevin Kinzie
* Provide engineering support to Operations and Maintenance on an ongoing basis to address daily mechanical operating needs. Work closely with Client and contract maintenance personnel to ensure that required repairs and modifications are completed safely using good engineering practices, with minimum equipment downtime and in a cost effective manner.
* Provide engineering support prior to and during scheduled unit shutdowns, and emergency upsets in order to complete all repair and modification items while minimizing downtime and expenses.
* Work with Inspection and Operations to evaluate and recommend mechanical modifications to existing equipment and specify new equipment to improve plant operations, efficiency, equipment reliability, safety and environmental performance.
* Ensure that all modifications are made according to current Client specification and procedures, documenting these changes in accordance with Management of Change policies and OSHA regulations.
* Identify recurring mechanical problems in process equipment and develop and implement solutions using recognized and generally accepted good engineering practices.
* Work with Purchasing and vendors to specify and requisition materials and equipment that meet Client Engineering Standards in a cost effective manner, while scheduling deliveries to minimize process equipment downtime.
* Coordinate the detail design development of low cost, scheduled, capital projects within their assigned area of responsibility.
* Provide mechanical engineering support for Process Hazards Analysis pertaining to process units within their area of responsibility.
* Participate as a member on the Area Availability Team for delegated units
* Ensure that plant Safety, Quality and Availability/Reliability initiatives are carried out in daily activities
* Works closely and efficiently with many different departments within the petrochemical complex, including Operations, Maintenance, Inspection, Reliability, T/A, Process Support, Facilities Development, and Management.
* Interfaces regularly with Purchasing, Safety, Environmental and Contract personnel. The primary objective is to maintain safe, reliable, efficient and environmentally responsible operation of the varied process units within the individual's area of responsibility.
* Provide technical assistance on a daily basis to Operations and Maintenance within these process units. In addition to daily responsibilities, the engineer is actively involved in the planning and implementation of scheduled unit turnarounds and storage tank repairs.
* The engineer must have a solid background in mechanical engineering and materials sciences; knowledge of accepted engineering practices and is able to apply this knowledge in the field. The Mechanical Support Engineer spends a great deal of time outside the office working with Maintenance, Operations, and contractor personnel. This individual must be able to communicate well with field personnel as well as other Technical and Management groups, both verbally and in writing.
* Bachelor of Science Degree, in Mechanical Engineering
* 3 years preferred or a minimum of 2 internships or co-ops performing mechanical engineering support
* Problem solving abilities utilizing recognized and generally accepted good engineering practices
* Ability to efficiently manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
* Familiarity with industry codes and standards
* Good oral, written, communication, interpersonal, and troubleshooting skills
* Requires climbing to elevated heights on equipment. It also requires entering equipment during turnarounds or shutdowns
* Requires occasional weekend and night work for support of turnarounds or shutdowns
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.