* Inspire safety commitment in Client and EPC Contractor teams via deep knowledge of HSE and leadership by example.
* Ensure compliance with all relevant HSE requirements across the works to promote a healthy and safe work environment.
* Support Project Manager in the overall Afungi site management and be a member of the site Emergency Management Team.
* Ensure that the team meets the necessary performance standards and corporate requirements.
* Develop a team spirit, foster teamwork, and build trust within the team. Encourage suitable personal and professional development.
* Be responsible to immediately report or cascade down any incidents in his area.
* Coordinate and monitor all construction activities in his area, as per project requirements and construction procedures, up to the last system handover to Commissioning team, with a specific attention to activities involving Client's responsibilities.
* Develop strong working relationships with EPC Contractor, in routine management and in management of critical issues.
* Facilitate the development of execution plans, method statements, and other relevant procedures to ensure that work plan and scopes are aligned with project strategies and deliver a safe, qualitative and timely execution of the project.
* Ensure physical presence at Site (either direct or via his supervisors) to demonstrate safety commitment, as well as quality and construction oversight and direct contact with Contractor's and Subcontractors' teams.
* Review construction progress from EPC Contractor, provide inputs to the internal construction reporting system and identify any deviances or risks to the schedule, by also proposing potential mitigations to his management and the EPC Contractor.
* Support the his PM, by providing inputs and coordination, in the overall site management of his area.
* Analyze the current situation as well as the known and expected issues; identify potential risks using technical knowledge and experience; propose and influence on technical and organizational solutions, lessons learned and good practices.
* Prepare and monitor the physical execution of Precommissioning and transition to Commissioning including during SIMOPS activities
* Contribute to project peer assists, peer reviews and technical assurance reviews to ensure compliance with procedures.
* Monitoring the effectiveness of the EPC Contractor's construction management processes
* Lead or attend all necessary construction planning meetings to ensure a proper follow-up of the issues and resolutions.
Context and environment
* Project entity is a multinational joint venture, has a large social performance element and is project financed by high profile lenders
* Afungi Site is extremely remote in Northern Mozambique with unreliable infrastructure and communications.
* The site is subject to mitigation measures based on Malaria, COVID pandemic and general security risks.
* Rotational position
* Responsible for Safe delivery of the Onshore facilities through the Construction phase and handover to Operations as per approved schedule/cost
* Coordination with other departments for the safe and on‐time execution of the work, to deliver a fit‐for‐purpose facility.
* Degree in Engineering or another relevant subject required with either an advanced degree or professional qualifications preferred.
* 15 years' experience, at least 5 years at a management level
* Min. 5 years on large greenfield projects, LNG liquefactions (preferred), GTL, petrochemical, refinery or gas processing/feedstock plants.
* Full understanding of areas critical to the success of large complex projects: safety, environmental, work organization, cost, schedule, quality, organizational competency, and reputational risk.
* Strong HSE culture and safety leadership, effective communication and leadership skills with the ability to influence critical decisions.
* Strong English written and verbal communication skills required. Portuguese or French is advantageous.
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.