- Posted 19 June 2022
- Contact NameStewart Bryson
- Design Engineer with manufacturing experience
- Could suit someone who has worked in a larger organisation (not essential) and worked alongside specialists such as welders, fabricators etc. or with larger fabrications
- need experience managing BS 8888
- Need experience of Geometric tolerancing
- Have experience with Non-compliance or non-conformance (dealing with technical queries, manufacturing issues, concessions, product permits)
- This person will be working with a live design and manufacturing rather than creating a design and moving onto the next
- Could suit someone from Aerospace/Automotive industry (not essential)
Manufactured Product Organisation (MPO) to oversee all products to be manufactured and supplied by the external supply chain. Two key areas of focus within MPO will be:
- Design Producibility (DP) to optimise designs for manufacturability and assembly, aligning design requirements with its production methods to optimise cost and ease of producing a product, whilst maintaining its quality
- Continuous Improvement (CI) to drive value through design and manufacturing improvements, reduce non-conformances and drive a CI culture
To support delivery of these areas, additional resource is required to build the capability within MPO in order to achieve its mission
Are there any professional qualifications essential for this role?
- Degree in relevant engineering discipline with at least 2 years design delivery experience OR other qualification such as BTEC, HNC, HND, with 5-8 years design delivery experience.
- A sound engineering background with knowledge of general mechanical design aspects and principals such as BS8888, material selection, tolerancing, geometric tolerancing, and surface finishes.
- Familiarity with The Machinery Directive, LOLER, and PUWER.
- Previous experience involving the design of mechanical equipment.
- Competent and proven design engineer, capable of producing designs, schemes, drawings, and supporting calculations who is familiar with the roles and application of the CDM regulations 2015.
- Previous experience producing design packages, suitable for manufacture.
- Knowledge of manufacturing techniques including general machining, welding and pressings.
- Previous experience of managing design change through a robust procedure.
- Experience in dealing with concessions or non-conforming parts
- Familiarity and experience using Inventor, (or other 3D Packages).
- Familiarity and experience of working and complying with applicable Practices, standards, and engineering guides.
- Familiarity with safety case principles and capable of providing design substantiation for equipment with designated nuclear safety functions to demonstrate that design solutions can meet the required safety function placed on it to the appropriate level.
- Past experience to have included elements of design, construction, commissioning and through life on plant technical support.
- Familiarity or previous design experience with plants on the site
- Experience of controlling manufacture through volume production.
- Knowledge of APQP and the core tools
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.