- Posted 15 September 2022
- Salary Negotiable
- DisciplinePermanent Recruitment
- Contact NameNeil Grant
Job Title: Database Administrator
Job Purpose Summary:
As Database Administrator you will be a technical subject matter expert in database and application server software and you will work closely with both IT Operations and IT Services colleagues to support and maintain core IT infrastructure solutions and services.
We are looking for someone who is:
* Passionate and enthusiastic about technology and digital services.
* Self-motivated, organised and disciplined.
* Knowledgeable about database and related technologies.
* Positive, pragmatic and productive.
* Able to enjoy working as part of a highly motivated, dynamic, team of IT specialists.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
* Database maintenance and administration;
* Application server maintenance and administration;
* Database and associated software patching and security;
* Install, administer and patch server operating systems such as Linux and Windows server;
* Liaise with system owners on data integrity, data upload and ad hoc reporting e.g. using SQL or BI tools;
* Work closely with developers on new and upgrade system deployments;
* Knowledge of hypervisors, SAN and NAS technologies;
* Procurement of licences and support as required.
* Asset and configuration management. You can maintain secure configuration and accurate information, controlling IT assets in one or more significant areas, and verifying location and state of assets.
* Availability and capacity management. You know how to manage service components to ensure they meet business needs and performance targets.
* Change management. You can implement changes based on requests for change. You know how to apply change control procedures.
* Coding and scripting. You know the scripting tools and software that are available and currently in use.
* Continual service improvement. You know about developing process efficiency and common ways in which processes are optimised. You can support specific activities to improve development processes. You can spot or identify obvious deficiencies.
* Incident management. You can identify and register incidents, gathering the required information and allocating it to the appropriate channel.
* Information security. You understand about information security and the security controls that can be used to mitigate security threats.
* Ownership and initiative. You can own an issue until a new owner has been found or the problem has been mitigated or resolved.
* Problem management. You can investigate problems in systems, processes and services, with an understanding of the level of a problem (for example, strategic, tactical and operational). You can contribute to the implementation of remedies and preventative measures.
* Technical specialism. You can assist in technical support activities and carry out agreed / routine maintenance and administration tasks.
* Technical understanding. You understand core technical concepts related to the role and know how to apply them. You stay abreast of industry developments.
* Service focus. You can maintain focus on the whole life of service delivery - i.e. design, develop, deliver and operate. You are able to ensure that a set of IT products, suppliers and vendors come together to deliver an IT service.
* Service deployment. You know how to build, configure, administer and support infrastructure technologies and solutions including Linux and Windows server, database software and related products (preferably Oracle).
* Testing. You can execute test scripts. You understand the role of testing and how it works.
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.