- Posted 16 November 2022
- Salary Negotiable
- Contact NameNeil Grant
The Cost Controller ensures accurate, timely and value-added analysis and reporting on a project. The discipline contributes to the effective running of projects and comprises responsibility for, but not limited to cost performance status reporting.
The role ensures the provision of all Cost Control functionality on the project including budget set up, updates and monitoring, change management, variation estimating, cost reporting, risk contingency and management as well as all forecasting activities. The role reports directly to the Cost Control Lead.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACTIVITIES
* Ensure analysis and understanding of the Project Scope.
* Develop a common understanding of the Tender budget through a review and analysis process with the relevant estimator and project team members.
* Ensure the transfer of the Tender budget to the cost model to form the basis of future monitoring and control.
* Prepare and establish the Cost Breakdown Structure and Budget Elements which describe the full structure to be used in the Cost Control System and that align into the Work Breakdown Structure.
* Establish a project coding structure in accordance with the Group Guidelines taking into consideration the interface with the Project Planning Function, where applicable.
* Ensure full coherence and utilisation of the Cost Control System and that it aligns with the Work Breakdown Structure for budgeting purposes and reporting key performance indicators throughout the project.
* Establish and communicate processes and routines required for effective control and reporting during the project lifecycle to team members with consideration of financial and other compliance legislation.
* Ensure the use of standard, appropriate templates for internal performance reporting.
* Maintain constant awareness of progress of work by pro-actively collecting the necessary supporting material (planning and reports) and information from all reliable sources.
* Ensure the timely coding, collection, analysis and reporting of all project expenditure, together with the budget holder(s).
* Ensure the monitoring and reporting of project.
* Conduct reconciliation of forecasted and actual expenditures and the production of project accruals.
* Produce short- and long-term cash flow projections in a continuous and timely manner.
* Produce audit reports and other audit information as required by internal & external audit teams.
* Prepare the Project Monthly Status Report in association with the Package Manager.
* Prepare Close Out Documentation both internally and externally relevant to the Function.
* Ensure proactive methods in sharing knowledge and experience, raising areas of difficulty and concern and assisting in improving routines.
* Participate in estimating Variations Orders, prepare supporting data and documentation.
* Calculate and plan Estimate To Complete (ETC).
* Ensure in-depth analysis and reporting of variances on a periodic basis as well as calculate on a monthly basis.
* Ensure all costs are allocated to the right destinations (departments, contracting entities).
* Interface with budget owners on a regular basis to review commitments.
* Interface and establish good working relationships with Parent Project Cost Controllers.
* Ensure information is fed back to Estimating department during project execution and at project closing whenever needed.
Qualifications & Experience
* Professional qualifications - Part qualified or currently undertaking studies towards a professional accounting qualification (ie CIMA, ACCA) is desirable although candidates degree qualified ideally in Cost Management, Project Management or Finance will also be considered.
* Broad experience of delivering Cost Centre Control and various types and size of project preferable.
* Technical knowledge and application of Cost Control and associated systems.
* IT literate across the MS Suite, proficient in Microsoft Excel (including advanced pivots/lookups etc)
* Working knowledge of SAP is preferable, but not essential.
* Understanding of the energy industry is preferable, but not essential.
* Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, accustomed to report writing.
* Culturally aware, builds and maintains strong business relationships at all levels of the business.
* Collaborative team worker who also demonstrates initiative and ownership.
* Adaptable with a hands-on approach to supporting the team.
* Pro-active and solutions-based, questions and will challenge the status quo.
* Will devise and implement improvements.
* Excellent analytical skills, and an ability to work with detail and high accuracy.
* Strong planning and organising skills, and a commercial awareness
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.